Friday 30 May 2008

Doors, sheds and laceweight

Yesterday saw me working from home as I waited in for the fourth visit from Amber Windows to repair my front and back door. The guy eventually showed up at 14:40 and was very grumpy and sarcastic, but grudgingly set about doing the repairs I've been pushing for - after all, otherwise, what's the point of a ten year guarantee? He eventually left at 18:00 having worked on both doors, which at this point to look fixed, there are no obvious gaps or drafts or creaks. Nothing is catching and the frames feel secure...

Now to wait and see how long it lasts.

The gentleman in question did eventually cheer up. He particularly perked up when Dave arrived home from work and became positively happy when he finally moved onto the back door and spotted our shed. We have a large, workshop style shed to which apparently was exactly what he needed for his back garden. When we pointed him in the direction of a shed seller a mile or so up the road (Johnson's Sectionals at Jubilee Crescent for those in Coventry who are looking for a shed), he became positively chatty saying he'd have to drive past to see where it was on his way home.

Men and their sheds!

Our shed is still holding my spinning wheel hostage and storing a soggy tent, which is awaiting drying, but we just haven't had the weather yet.

In anticipation of getting the wheel in action or even getting some time in on the spindle, I succumbed to the pretty fibre available at Violet Green, buying two bags of superwash merino...



It's still in its plastic, because other than acknowledging I've got it I've not had time to even stroke it, that's how mad things are around here!

I also picked up some laceweight, 2 ply merino in a colourway called 'Roses and Cream'...

There should be enough for a shawl there and I've already earmarked it for my next project from the Victorian Lace Today book. This time, I'm doing another 'easy' pattern called 'Large Rectangle with Centre Diamond' (Ravelry Link), which as usual with patterns in this book is descriptive if not as creative as most pattern names I see.

It is however, a very pretty piece of lace and I'm hoping I can do it justice. As with the last one, there are some new techniques I'll need to learn first, such as an invisible lace caston... Which looks interesting. It will also be my first time using circular needles, because while this one is knitted flat, it's a bit big to hold on regular needles, so the bendy ones are going to be called for.

First though, I need to find the time to wind that skein into a ball so I can use it.

1 comment:

  1. Very bright fibre, fingers crossed you will get something done on wheel next weekend after you got this one over with.

    ReplyDelete