Tuesday 8 July 2008

Entrelac - a definition

We had an entrelac workshop at the Coventry Knit-Wits meet up last week and we were speculating the origins of the word 'entrelac'. We even consulted the resident French member of the group who was similarly mystified.

As I was cycling in this morning, my mind wondered back to the discussion - I'm not sure why exactly - and it struck me "Entre - into, Lac - Lace? Possibly, interwoven lace? Interlaced?"

Curiousity well and truely piqued and being someone who's always interested in the origin of words I looked it up...

en·tre·lac
–noun
a decorative border of interlaced garlands and leaves.
[Origin: F; akin to entrelacer to interlace]

So there you have it, my half remembered French obviously came through - eventually. :)

2 comments:

  1. Well done, must be getting more confident on the bike if you can work things out like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I'd always wondered that myself. Another etymological mystery solved!

    ReplyDelete